FourthAndGoal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Soooooooooooo, HBO...

3 posters

Go down

Soooooooooooo, HBO... Empty Soooooooooooo, HBO...

Post  ALLTIGER85 Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:08 am

http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2011/2/23/2009854/hbo-cameron-newton-auburn-real-sports

What are you guys thoughts on it?
ALLTIGER85
ALLTIGER85
Scholarship Player
Scholarship Player

Back to top Go down

Soooooooooooo, HBO... Empty Soooooooooooo, HBO . . .

Post  JayB44 Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:40 pm

I don't know all that much about HBO sports - especially collegiate sports. Guess it could be an honest piece. If the emphasis is on the SEC, I suppose that's understandable because of the success the conference has enjoyed. Then, again, it could be a 'get on the bandwagon' (even though the 'bandwagon' is now history) 'hit piece'.

In view of the NCAA's repeated proclamations that Newton did no wrong and the demonstrated absolute lack of oversigning in this last recruiting class, I really can't see how AU could be accused of anything shady here. However, as we're all aware, that hasn't stopped some 'bylines' in the past.

As to the 'ongoing investigation' by the NCAA regarding Newton, one would think that it must be directed toward MSU. Of course, I don't have the full picture, but some of the allegations involving MSU and it's supporter's actions seem, at the very least, questionable.

Looking at the timeline vis-a-vis Cam:
Rogers claims his conversation about money with Cecil took place 27-28 Nov '09. I believe that Cam signed with AU on 31 Dec. '09 - only about a month later. Doesn't seem like a lot of time to allow them to raise a large sum of money.
I don't know anything about Rogers so I can't really call him a 'slimebag' but something doesn't ring true about him for me. He claims he heard Cecil's 'deal' in late November. His first move seems to have been to try and raise the money rather than report the incident to the appropriate people. The MSU Athletic Department apparently wasn't told of the situation until January - after Cam had signed with AU. Then MSU seemed to be less than forthcoming about addressing SEC and NCAA inquiries. One might think that the continuing NCAA probe is in this area.

As to McClover's alleged statement(s), that appears to have failed to detonate. (A moot point, anyway as far as the NCAA is concerned, since it happened in 2005 and therefore, according to the linked piece, outside of the NCAA's statute of limitations.) The claim, if it were true, was under a different football regime. Personally, I just can't see Coach Chizik and his current staff consciously doing anything illegal. They seem to be pathologically observant of the rules.

College football just seems to be the focus of media attention these days and I can't think of anything except time - and the complete loss of patience by fans - that's likely to slow it. It will be interesting to see HBO's hook. I don't watch HBO but I'm certain there will be plenty of folks who will educate me.

JayB44
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Soooooooooooo, HBO... Empty Re: Soooooooooooo, HBO...

Post  Tigerbill Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:37 pm

There are so many conflicting stories floating around about MSU, Rodgers, Cam, Cecil, Stanly, etc, that I'll just wait to see what fabrications HBO can generate. I don't watch HBO neither, but we will be well informed by our friends from the west side of the state, unless of course, they, too, are thrown under the bus, and then HBO can kiss bamr's subscriptions good-by just like the Birmingham News (as if they actually read it)

Tigerbill
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Soooooooooooo, HBO... Empty Re: Soooooooooooo, HBO...

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum